Sunday, August 3, 2008

Set your default speakers values using a two-line script

I came across this irritating problem using my Dell laptop. The sound was rather faint and I asked myself why was that. There exist several playback volume controls, such a Master, a double PCM, a double Front etc.

It is possible that one of them is not set at its full extent, thus lowering your overall sound volume. At my system Front speakers were set at 80%. Since I could already control the Master channel with the special keyboard buttons, I created a small script that sets Front at 100%

In the terminal,

sudo gedit /usr/bin/setFront100


it opens gnome editor

add these lines

#! /bin/bash

amixer set Front 100%


Save and Exit (Ctrl + O and Ctrl + X, accordingly)

Make it executable

chmod +x /bin/bash/setFront100


Add it to your System->Preferences->Sessions

THE END

No comments: