Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fix the ugly fonts in AMSN 0.97.2

So, as of yesterday, older versions of AMSN won't log you in MSN Chat. You have to install the latest release 0.97.2. But, if you do so, you will encounter the known ugliness of Tcl/Tk, the language AMSN was built on. Crappy fonts will make your life miserable and your aesthetics will be severely damaged.

Here comes the solution: Recompile from (source) scratch AMSN along with other libs and stuff.
To do so, I've barely changed an existing script for the previous version of the program.

Download from here.

Uninstall existing amsn installation, typing
sudo apt-get purge amsn

Run the script
sudo bash fixamsn0.97.2.sh

(you have to move to the appropriate directory first -- eg. cd ~/Desktop)

Keep waiting until you regain control of your terminal. It will take enough time to get yourself some iced coffee.

A word of caution: I used the exact script myself, but you're running it at your own risk ;)

3 comments:

Zona de Slumbergod said...

Many thanks for the script! Worked perfectly for me. I use Xubuntu Hardy on Intel 32bit platform.

The script warned I was not using the correct target OS but I proceeded anyway and no problems.

Internaut said...

I'm glad that this post helped you.
I understand there is a fix to this issue by the ubuntu community through the repos. Haven't tried it though

Anonymous said...

I have successfully run this script on Ubuntu Handy i386 as well as AMD64 and both ran flawlessly. Now that is a script.